The Japanese market is a rewarding one for products and services, with ample opportunities for export-ready Irish firms.
If you are considering doing business in Japan, please be sure to explore our ten tips to enter the market below and also be sure to reach out to our team in Toyoko.
- Japan is open to world-class innovation and technology from Irish companies that have a clear and validated market fit for Japan.
- The starting point for Japan is good market research, which if positive, can be further validated by visiting or having representation on the ground.
- Irish companies that can offer innovative niche solutions coupled with a very customised and committed approach tend to succeed.
- Digital, Fintech/Financial Services, Life Sciences, Renewable Energy and Industrial Applications are broad areas with growth potential.
- A high level of patient care combined with the growing elderly population makes Japan an attractive end-market for medical device companies particularly those with strong diagnostic or finished device offerings.
- Major policy changes in Japan’s financial sector, along with the heretofore strong growth in inbound tourism, has opened doors for Irish Fintech payment companies.
- A push towards renewable energy sources along with the Japanese Government’s Feed-In Tariff (FIT) scheme, provides opportunities for innovative offerings in the energy sector.
- Business decisions in Japan generally take much longer than Irish businesspeople are used to.
- It is important to visit Japan regularly in the initial stages to build an understanding of the market.
- Depending on the nature of the business, aiming for in-market representation in the longer-term tends to be a key success fact.
- Japan is a demanding market for Irish exporters but one that offers the twin rewards of market scale and customer loyalty.
Enterprise Ireland is committed to helping Irish firms succeed in global markets and have industry experts on hand, ready to help you access the Japanese market.
Our Market Advisors are always available to support you and provide business expertise and on-the-ground knowledge.